Michael S. Hammer, MD

• Children's Memorial Hospital
  • Long Island Jewish Medical Center
  • New York University, Bellevue
  • St. Louis University

• Advocate Children's Hospital - Park Ridge
  • Advocate Condell Medical Center

Comments

July 29, 2020 1:00 PM

I don't feel I was given enough time or information. My child has seizures and episodes during which he is confused and has an altered state of mind. Dr. Hammer did not seem overly concerned, even though this was the reason for my visit.

February 25, 2020 10:06 AM

Dr. Hammer is a blessing. He took the time to go through every concern I had about my son's emerging tic disorder. He shared so much info from the latest medical research that I felt very informed about what to expect for my son. I can't recommend Dr. Hammer enough.

February 25, 2020 10:06 AM

Dr. Hammer is an extremely thoughtful and knowledgeable doctor. Everything he has said is backed up with medical literature. And I've checked. My kid has a somewhat rare neurological condition and thanks to Dr. Hammer, I am MUCH more knowledgeable about my kid's condition than other parents of kids with similar conditons in my online support group. I feel very blessed to have him on my kid's team!

February 9, 2020 9:34 PM

Would have liked more eye contact from the doctor. Spent a lot of time looking at the computer not us.

January 20, 2020 2:42 PM

Dr Hammer is an excellent MD.

January 20, 2020 2:42 PM

However your phone system for appts and questions is terrible!

November 23, 2019 5:18 AM

The best!

November 23, 2019 5:18 AM

Dr. Hammer has helped my daughter with her seizures for years.

October 19, 2019 7:00 PM

They took plenty of time to answer our questions this time.

October 7, 2019 7:00 PM

The doctor is a very good doctor, knows a lot and is always concerned for his patients and gives the indicated medication for fast recovery.

August 25, 2019 7:00 PM

This Dr is approachable and answers my questions but I wish he would offer more info about my child's condition to inform and educate me in a way that I feel empowered rather than worried about what I don't know. More info is better than less.

August 12, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr Hammer is excellent and kind

August 11, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr. Hammer is a best in class neurologist and outstanding professional and individual.

August 8, 2019 7:00 PM

Excellent.

May 14, 2019 7:00 PM

This was our first visit to Dr. Hammer. We were very pleased with all the questions he asked and how we were treated with respect. Would highly recommend Dr. Hammer.

March 30, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr. Hammer is a great doctor. Will definitely recommend him. Appt. scheduling is a little excessive with all the questions (right after) that they do just to schedule an appointment.

February 17, 2019 6:00 PM

I appreciate the dr. double scheduling to get our appointment in before the end of the year and around her time off.

February 4, 2019 6:00 PM

X received outstanding medical service.

Dr. Manner was great about listening to my concerns about my son's ADHD. I wanted to get my son on medication to help him w/impulse control to keep him safe. Dr. Hammer understood my concerns and went through the options. He agreed my son needed medication and helped me feel confident we would find the right medication.

December 3, 2018 6:00 PM

Dr. Hammer is a good guy.

November 19, 2018 6:00 PM

It was very good VISIT.

October 22, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr. Hammer has been my child's doctor for over 9 years and he provides excellent medical/professional services.

September 23, 2018 7:00 PM

I think Dr. Hammer is an excellent and very thorough doctor. After seeing other doctors for the same concerns, he is the only one that took the time to reallyblook at the records and had helped both my sons. I also appreciate that he has his nurse check in periodically just to see how everything is going and if I feel any changes need to be made. You don't find that level of care much these days.

September 5, 2018 7:00 PM

Good

August 27, 2018 7:00 PM

Thank you for listening to our concerns.

August 19, 2018 7:00 PM

I very much dislike the centralized phone system. please get rid of it. It is frustrating for parents

July 15, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr Hammer is amazing. As a family, we have seen him for many years. He is always kind, understanding and funny. We appreciate him.

July 8, 2018 7:00 PM

The receptionist insisted I didn't have insurance coverage prior to last office visit. I assured receptionist I had active insurance and requested she call my insurance provider. Staff kept giving me the ultimatum of rescheduling my appointment or paying out of pocket for the appointment, was not interested in investigating the matter further. I had to call my insurance in front of her to verify that coverage was active.

June 24, 2018 7:00 PM

Rude; didn't listen; cut me off when talking got upset with my daughter because she couldn't tell him an answer he was wanting.

June 24, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr. Hamner is a wonderful doctor. He is truly the best of the best.

June 22, 2018 7:00 PM

I though provider would help my daughter with therapy for tics by himself or with other doctors. Instead he wanted to pass her off on physical therapists. When I asked about the training the therapists receive, he said it was a mobile class, but he couldn't tell me more about it. I explained that I hadn't had good results when I had seen physical therapists in the past and preferred a psychologist, who has had more schooling on this, to work with my daughter. He said he didn't know any psychologists who did tic therapy. When I said I would not be going to a physical therapist for a neurological problem, he pretty much was rude to me and said very rudely to my young nervous daughter, "Well then good luck to you!" My 13 year old son observed this all and told me the doctor was rude. Doc wasn't listening to my concerns about a physical therapist in the role of a psychologist. Whole trip was a complete waste of time, money, and energy. I had to go to Luries Children's Hospital who actually have psychologists who do tic therapy, not some physical or occupational therapist. We needed a psychologist and doc was just not listening.

June 18, 2018 7:00 PM

Provider can improve his "bedside manner" and proactively share medical information, facts, risks. treatments, etc. with patients. Provider needs to realize that although he's gone through the diagnosis and treatment process hundreds of times, for the families of each new patient, it is their FIRST time, and it is unfamiliar, scary and overwhelming. More compassion and concerted effort to communicate and educate needs to be made on provider's part in these instances.

May 7, 2018 7:00 PM

Talk more to my 9 year old about his thoughts/feelings/check out/attention.

May 6, 2018 7:00 PM

My son thought he was great. He made him feel comfortable and talked and joked with him which made my son feel better. He went over the different medicine that would be a possibility if the one we were trying didn't work. When we left his office, I felt good about our visit and knowing he genuinely wants to help my son.

April 29, 2018 7:00 PM

When he walked in the room, he appeared like he didn't want to be there. He sighed heavily and then talked real slow, like he was not all there. I brought my child in for an ADHD evaluation, and he asked her two questions. He talked to us the rest of the time, and within 10 mins determined our child had ADHD. He then proceeded to tell us to read a book about it as he didn't think we should jump right to medication. Then he proceeded to tell us repeatedly that there were 20+ medications available, but then in the next breath said he thought we should prolong it as long as possible. He then said if we chose to do medication, at least our child is "meaty" since most kids lose their appetite when taking ADHD medications. He did not seem very knowledgable about the subject, and kept referring to a book by Russell Barkley. At the end of the appointment, he said if we decided we wanted to medicate her, we could just call him and we didn't need to bring her in again. That did not sit well with us.

April 13, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr. Hammer and the staff are excellent, they're very understanding to Earnest needs and I enjoy seeing everyone.

March 27, 2018 7:00 PM

Overall, we had a positive experience. The only issue I felt was that the doctor came in and sat down without introducing himself. It made us feel slightly uncomfortable because we had never met him before. As the appointment went on, he was more friendly and made my child feel comfortable. But initially, we were uneasy.

March 22, 2018 7:00 PM

My experience with Dr. Hammer was not a good one. When dealing with children, or even adults for that matter, in this field, I would think that you must have some sort of compassion and understanding, especially when dealing with parents going through, what they consider, a traumatic experience. Most parents do not understand what is going on with their children and Dr. Hammer failed to make me understand exactly what was going on with my son. He had nothing but harsh things to say and gave hope for nothing but a very grim outcome, regardless of any steps to overcome. While in the office, I felt berated and talked down to and I did not feel comfortable at all. I will definitely not be bringing my child back to this office and I will not recommend this doctor to anyone I know. My only hope is that in the future, Dr. Hammer can take a course in decent humanity, so that maybe one day his compassion can match his credentials.

March 5, 2018 6:00 PM

Your health and safety is our highest priority at every step of the journey with us. See what to expect