Marlyn M. Valena, MD

Specialty: Pediatrics

Your health and safety is our top priority. Get COVID-19 info & vaccine information and see our visitor policy.

Schedule via LiveWell

Advocate Children's Medical Group

1710 North Randall Road

Elgin, IL 60123

Office: 847-214-5740

Fax: 847-214-5757

Meet Marlyn M. Valena, MD

• Wayne State University - Detroit Medical Center
  • Cook County Children's Hospital
  • University of Santo Tomas
  • University of Santo Tomas

• Advocate Sherman Hospital

Comments

July 27, 2020 1:31 PM

We've always had a great experience with her.

July 27, 2020 1:31 PM

Great experience.

July 13, 2020 7:58 AM

We love our child's doctor!

June 12, 2020 8:20 AM

Dr. Valena & team were great! We have nothing but high praises for them.

June 8, 2020 1:38 PM

very good experience

June 8, 2020 8:29 AM

This was a zoom call & it went without a hitch. Dr. Valena is the best pediatrician!

March 23, 2020 10:48 AM

Dr. Valena is very caring and sweet w/our son. She is always very kind and takes time w/us.

March 17, 2020 9:22 AM

Our total time at the office was 90 minutes which is a little ridiculous for a well being check. The office was not super busy with full waiting rooms.

March 12, 2020 10:22 AM

Dr. Valena is very attentive, a great listener. Never feel like she's in a hurry to move us out.

March 9, 2020 3:27 PM

Dr.Valena is a great doctor both my girl's love her and are comfortable talking to her.

March 9, 2020 3:27 PM

good

February 14, 2020 12:22 PM

The waiting time was almost an hour before we saw the doctor.

January 20, 2020 6:44 AM

Dr. Valena always provides outstanding care no matter what. She explains everything clearly. She treats my daughter respectfully and always wants her POV.

January 16, 2020 2:01 PM

Dr. knows my child well and my daughter always feels safe with her.

January 16, 2020 2:01 PM

The nurses and staff are all amazing.

January 16, 2020 11:03 AM

I'd like to see wait time decrease. People should not need to wait 30+ minutes after the appointment time to be seen.

November 23, 2019 8:35 AM

In the past year or two, every time I call for an appointment now, I'm put on a very long hold, sometimes 5-10 minutes and I call back only to be asked to hold again. It seems they don't have enough staff to take calls and it's frustrating and disappointing. When I finally do get in on phone or check in at the desk directly, the staff is not overly friendly.

November 17, 2019 11:00 PM

I'm tired of having an appointment and having to wait at least an hour to be seen. It's bad enough that there are extremely limited appointments that are not during school hours, but when we have to go every three months for a routine perscription pickup, it's extremely frustrating to wait over an hour for a 5 minute appointment. Meanwhile he has to miss at least 2 hours of school.

November 17, 2019 11:00 PM

Always bad with regards to scheduling. A 10 minute appointment should require a minimum of an hour wait each time, which essential turns out to a 1\3 of a day of school missed with travel time, plus a half day of work. Given we are charged if we cancel or don't show, would be nice to have the same respect when we are NEVER seen at our appointment time. With 3 kids, in the last 2 years we have never once been seen without waiting at least 45minutes to get into the room. We have even been forgotten about when we were the last appointment of the day.

November 10, 2019 11:00 PM

My daughter was in urgent the week prior and prescribed an antibiotic which caused the stomach upsetness that sent me to see Valena. She did great!

November 10, 2019 11:00 PM

This was the first time I called the office for a sick visit and was not referred to an urgent care canter. I appreciate the fact I can see my pediatrician versus urgent care whenever possible.

October 27, 2019 7:00 PM

my child got her ears pierced with this pediatrician and she was very patient through the process

October 24, 2019 7:00 PM

She was helpful and took time to explain things and check my baby with time.

October 11, 2019 7:00 PM

She was very patient with my 8yo. My 5yo and 3yo are very easygoing, while my 8yo is a little less cooperative. Dr. Valena is super.

October 1, 2019 7:00 PM

She is top-notch. Super laid back, really attentive, great listener.

September 18, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr. Valena has been my daughter's doctor all of my daughter's life. The doctor knows her and us well. I completely trust her.

August 24, 2019 7:00 PM

There were new medical assistants. The one we initially saw was super nice and patient but the one who came in to do the finger stick was impatient and not so professional.

August 19, 2019 7:00 PM

Wait times are increasing greatly. At a minimum we haven't been seen before 45 minutes to an hour of appointment time. We could be the first appointment in the morning and won't be seen till an hour past appointment time. This is getting out of control. It makes the kids even later for school, it's disrespectful, and we are paying, there is some facet of Customer Service. IF this was a random event because there was a medical emergency that would be one thing, but this is routine. A 10m prescription refill appointment takes 90m because of the wait, check in \ check out.

July 31, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr. Valena is a very wonderful doctor. She doesn't rush when checking my child. She listens & respects her patients & family. My children love her. If my daughter who is 23 y.o. now, could stay with her, she will do it.

July 26, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr. Valena is awesome! She is loving towards our children and never waivers in energy. she cares alot about her career and the purpose of her career.

July 26, 2019 7:00 PM

This is the second appointment where Dr. Valena has made casual comments about my daughter's physical appearance in front of her, making her self concious and concerned. I wish she would be more thoughtful with her comments as most of the time they aren't related to any serious medical condition, but may just be a skin imperfection.

July 22, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr. Valena is very caring.

July 12, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr. Valena has always been great with my daughter and I hope to make her my next child's pediatrician as well.

July 7, 2019 7:00 PM

she has been my doctor since I was little and I hope that she will be my doctor until I'm 21.

June 22, 2019 7:00 PM

I love Dr. Valena! She is always very friendly!

June 16, 2019 7:00 PM

We always enjoy Dr. Valena. she's thorough, caring and really takes her time to go through everything.

June 2, 2019 7:00 PM

we like Dr. Valena. She is fun, thorough and experienced. Exactly what a Pediatrican should be.

April 21, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr. Valena is a great pediatrician; she listens to me as the mother and she speaks to my child in a caring and thoughtful manner. My son loves her and is never afraid to go to "the doctor".

February 11, 2019 6:00 PM

provider is great. most of the nurses were little to no help.

Dr Valena-- is attentive and in tuned with X's needs.

Everything was great and his eczema cleared up right away

January 23, 2019 6:00 PM

The doctor was caring and took an interest in my son. She was through and gave me lots of information.

January 18, 2019 6:00 PM

We love Dr. Valena and Dr. X, but the office staff is so slow. We spend an average of an hour and half at the office every time we visit. The last visit I had a scheduled 2 month check up for my son at 9:45 a.m. and we did not leave until almost 11:10. that should never happen. We did not see the Dr. until 10:20 and she was gone by 10:27 and the nurse did not come in to give my son shots until 11:00. it should never take over 30 minutes after the doctor leaves the room for staff to come and do their job. I went out to ask how much longer and 5 staff members were just sitting there. The nurse said she would be right in and it took over 15 minutes for her to actually come in the room. There is absolutely no efficiency or work flow in that office. Each visit has been like that since we switched to this pediatrician office. I have 3 kids. I can't spend hours at the doctor office each time my kids need a check up or are sick. something needs to be adjusted with work flow.

January 14, 2019 6:00 PM

Dr. Valena is a very caring pediatrician. My son has never been afraid to see her and she thoroughly listens to both he and I and addresses our concerns. I am not a big "Advocate" fan (too large, takes too long for billing), but I will not take my son anywhere else - Dr. Valena is his doctor and she will stay his doctor until he can decide where he goes.

October 30, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr. Valena, her MA X and everyone there is always helpful. we love coming to the dr.

October 14, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr. Valena and the other staff members are amazing. We don't live very close to the office, but we refuse to go anywhere else. Dr. Valena goes above and beyond for her patients and makes time for everyone that needs to be seen.

October 13, 2018 7:00 PM

This doctor and nurse are great. They take the time to talk to us and work with child.

October 12, 2018 7:00 PM

Always have a great experience w/Dr. Valena.

October 8, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr. Valena is always attentive and kind to my son and our family! the new waiting room has cut down in wait time, and the nurses are quick and effective!

September 21, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr. Valena has always been so personable and upbeat! She always explains conditions and medicines so well to me. She really listens to me and will always answer all my questions. I always feel fortunate that I have such a great doctor!! Her regular staff is wonderful too. She has been my Dr. for at least 17yrs. I'm turning 21, so sadly I have to go to a new Dr. now. Very thankful for her taking such good care of me all these years!

September 18, 2018 7:00 PM

As always, the provider made us feel comfortable about the care my child needed.

September 7, 2018 7:00 PM

Excellent doctor, however the wait is always long. We wait about 15 min after our appointment to even be seated in a room, than 5-10 min to get growth measurements on our son, and another 15-20 min to be seen by the doctor. So our check ups typically last an hour or more. Besides the long wait, the staff and doctor are always great!

September 3, 2018 7:00 PM

i love dr Valena, but the wait time, even on wellness checks, runs extremely late. Usually between 30-45 minutes late

August 19, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr. Valena is an excellent doctor!

August 18, 2018 7:00 PM

Best pediatrician she always takes time with her patients.

August 17, 2018 7:00 PM

This office is consistently slow handling any check up appointments. For as long as the appointments take (over an hour with shots), I don't feel like the provider asks any developmental questions to check on certain aspects of my child. If I have the first appointment of the day, it should not take more than 30 minutes for the exam and shots to be completed. Highly unrealistic time frame for any child to behave, much less unclothed waiting for the doctor. I will be looking for other pediatricians in the area.

August 12, 2018 7:00 PM

she is the best hands down. we have seen her since X was born.

August 12, 2018 7:00 PM

We like Dr. Velena very much. her staff is great. There are two big areas to improve, wait times, and the waiting room. the waiting room is far too small! having healthy kids mixed with sick kids means that we often end up with a sick child after checkups.

July 15, 2018 7:00 PM

she's amazing

June 25, 2018 7:00 PM

Excellent care with Dr. Valena.

June 17, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr. Valena is a great doctor. She is always friendly and professional. Alive never questioned her judgement. I feel like my child is in the best care possible.

May 27, 2018 7:00 PM

My child had a fever of 103. I was able to call at 2pm and get an appointment for 4pm. This was very pleasing.

May 23, 2018 7:00 PM

It's always pleasant visiting Dr. Valena - she always takes care of our concerns or needs in regards to my kids health.

May 13, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr. Valena is always awesome and we'll as her staff X & X. We love going there because they are always so nice, helpful, and empathetic towards my children.

May 6, 2018 7:00 PM

The wait time was unacceptable. I understand that a doctors office can be a busy place, but 45 minutes is too long. Also, if you know you are running behind, let your patients know when they get there. Don't leave them to wonder what is going on with no respect for their time.

May 6, 2018 7:00 PM

we enjoy seeing de valena the ine thing I would recommend is for those who answer the phones to sound a little more polite. they always sound annoyed when they answer the phones but in all it's always a great experience when taking my children.

May 4, 2018 7:00 PM

Our first time here and Dr. Valena and her staff were great all the questions I had where answer and she listen to all my concerns that I had and I was never rushed, I felt like a family member to the office. Keep up the great work.

April 22, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr. Valena is an outstanding pediatrician. She always listens carefully and never rushes through a visit. My son feels comfortable talking directly to her, because she creates a calm and relaxed atmosphere for my child to be in. She is very open to questions and concerns and never has a condescending manner. I am very confident in her and her staff.

April 22, 2018 7:00 PM

I wad happy with provider but we did have to wait more than 25 minutes to be seen even though I was on time for my appointment.

April 22, 2018 7:00 PM

every time I call X and X are very helpful. I'm glad I get to speak to the girls I know when calling rather then random people. When my child is sick I know I'll get the care my child needs

April 18, 2018 7:00 PM

Marylyn Valena very professional & nice.

April 8, 2018 7:00 PM

wait time was 45 minutes until the doctor came in.

March 25, 2018 7:00 PM

Great doctor, very personable.

March 24, 2018 7:00 PM

very good experience. nothing bad to say.

March 23, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr Valena is an awesome Doctor and we have recommender her to many people over the years.

March 18, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr. Valena is the most sweetest, kind and helpful pediatrician I've had. Honest and always caring and showing love for my children.

March 12, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr. Valena's practice has grown too large to have adequate sick visit appointments available.

March 11, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr. Valena, nurse X, nurse X, and ms X at reception are all Wonderful every single time we are in that office. They are the best hands down

February 25, 2018 6:00 PM

Always an Excellent experience with Dr. Valena and her nurses. I've been taking my kids to this office for years and I always feel like she cares about my kids and their health.

February 23, 2018 6:00 PM

great

February 11, 2018 6:00 PM

The provider is excellent, I like how she is understanding and listens to my concerns and addresses them with me.

February 5, 2018 6:00 PM

love the office and doctor but feel that a full check-up isn't always given and the appointments sometimes feel rushed. the office sees too many patients in a day and enough time isn't spent with each one otherwise wait times are very long.

January 29, 2018 6:00 PM

Dr. Valena is always caring, listens to me, explains things well, and is always friendly and positive attitude. I feel very lucky to have a great doctor. The nurses good and very nice as well. The receptionists for this office are usually very friendly.

January 29, 2018 6:00 PM

dr valena is very good

Your health and safety is our highest priority at every step of the journey with us. See what to expect