Abraham R. Shashoua, MD

Specialty: UrogynecologyObstetrics & GynecologyFemale Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery

Coronavirus and No-Visitor Alert

Learn what to do if you think you've been exposed to COVID-19. And find updates on our no-visitor policy.

Safety Alert

Due to continued community unrest, for everyone’s safety some facilities may have adapted hours. You will be contacted if your appointment needs to be changed.

Abraham R. Shashoua, MD

We’re sorry, but our online scheduling is currently unavailable. You can schedule easily by phone. Call us. We’re here to help.

Advocate Medical Group

3000 North Halsted Street

Chicago, IL 60657

Office: 773-296-7300

Fax: 773-296-7390

Meet Abraham R. Shashoua, MD

• Residency: University Of Chicago, Pritzker School Of Medicine, Obstetrics & Gynecology
  • Medical School: University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL

• United Healthcare MedicareComplete Plan 1 HMO
  • United Healthcare Navigate POS
  • United Healthcare Nexus
  • United Healthcare Select EPO
  • United Healthcare Select HMO
  • United Healthcare Select Plus POS

Comments

November 18, 2019 11:00 PM

Dr. Shashoua is always respectful and listens to me when I come for an appointment. He often calls me back if I call the office with a question.

November 17, 2019 11:00 PM

great personality, attentive and down to earth. I was told he was the best, he definitely exceeded my expectations., thanks

November 17, 2019 11:00 PM

Thank you for listening and providing a solution to my health problems.

November 16, 2019 11:00 PM

Great, as always!

November 16, 2019 11:00 PM

Care provided remains excellent, and I had no problem waiting more than 15 minutes for this visit.

November 10, 2019 11:00 PM

The Doctor needs to slow down and spend more time with patients. I felt rushed and like he was not taking time to consider all the options. If I hadn't had prior knowledge about my procedure I would be very lost right now. He needs to sit down with his patients and lay out the possibilities and allow the patient to ask questions.

November 10, 2019 11:00 PM

I wish he would have taken a moment when I first met him to introduce himself instead of rushing into a diagnosis. Everything felt rushed which makes me feel uneasy. If he's rushed with the basics, is he going to rush my surgery and miss something?

October 27, 2019 7:00 PM

I am so very well pleased with Dr.Shausha and his team. They gave me hope and confidence.

October 27, 2019 7:00 PM

The doctor is a specialist and highly talented in his area of expertise. I was referred to him by my regular ob-gyn (also a male provider) for a fibroid surgery. The surgery went very well as did my recovery. HOWEVER, on my recent follow up visit, I had concerns about my health that could have been related to the surgery and I felt the doctor did not listen to what I had to say. The response to the questions that I raised felt standoffish. He laughed dismissively at one point and then crossed his hands and leaned back on the counter asking me what I wanted to do rather harshly - as opposed to actually listening to what I was saying and perhaps trying to address my concerns. I felt as though he took my questions personally and was offended that I didn't just take the medication he prescribed outright. He seemed to doubt my familiarilty with my own body and not take my questions or concerns seriously. At one point, he did seem to have a reaction of conscience where he slowed down the visit in an attempt to assure me he wasn't trying to "sell" me anything. He then tried to explain how some of the benefits of the medication he had prescribed could maybe address some of the issues I had brought up earlier in the appointment. It was too little too late for me. I respect that these doctors are extremely intelligent and highly trained individuals but I think there needs to be some sort of training on bedside manner or simply figuring out how to 1) listen to patients thoroughly and genuinely, and 2) actually address the questions and concerns raised rather than railroading through them and just spewing more "standard of care" language without tying it back into the patient's concerns.

October 26, 2019 7:00 PM

the most recent visiting Dr Shashoua was actually the post surgery follow up appointment. I became patient of Dr. Shashoua about four years ago after worked with number of gyne doctors in Chicago area for my fibroids issue which is the only health issue I have so far. I was so happy found Dr Shashoua for this speciality. he done the surgery very successfully after the other doctors failed to do that or provided no option except to remove my uterus. Dr. Shashoua made me fell respected and comfortable at every visits so far, I don't have the fear of seeing a male gyne doctors in his office.

October 20, 2019 7:00 PM

Felt rushed...

October 11, 2019 7:00 PM

He was professional, thourough, and fantastic.

September 27, 2019 7:00 PM

I liked him and pretty confident he will fix my problem!!

September 23, 2019 7:00 PM

I am very pleased with Dr. Shashoua. My sister recommended him to me in 2016 and I just recommended him to my mom who will see him Oct. 30th. He's a great doctor.

September 22, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr. Shoshoua was very throughout and made himself available for any and all of my questions. I was very satisfied with the level of care.

September 22, 2019 7:00 PM

This was a great visit, this was my first time meeting Dr. Shashoua and I got all of my questions answered and a treatment plan. I received more help from him in my first visit than my previous gynecologist had given me in about 2 years.

September 16, 2019 7:00 PM

He is an excellent doctor. I can see he really cares for his patients. He explains everything in regards to your health and well-being. He tries to find the best way to treat you.

September 6, 2019 7:00 PM

I am very happy with the specialist I saw and his front desk staff. I was also happy with my experience with the Quest lab. I skipped over the general questions because this is the only experience I have had with Advocate so far.

September 2, 2019 7:00 PM

he was great, knowledgeable and really listened to my concerns regarding a treatment plan.

September 1, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr Shoshua was very pleasant although he did seem a bit rushed. But he was very on top if the situation and was very thorough.

August 24, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr Shashua is the best doctor I've ever met, I'm lucky I found him.

August 24, 2019 7:00 PM

Always professional, nice and considerate.

August 11, 2019 7:00 PM

good

August 10, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr Shashoua is amazing. Also, everyone at the office is friendly and professional. Highly recommend!

August 2, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr. Shaushua is great he did a great job with the surgery made sure that I was comfortable and how is the recovery going

July 26, 2019 7:00 PM

Awesome experience

July 24, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr. Shashoua and his team have been awesome. Dr. Shashoua takes the time to listen to me and always gets back to me when I have a question. With his help, I've been able to get back to work as a bedside nurse and move on with my life. My symptoms were really diminishing my quality of life and the prior gynecologists I went to were not able to help me. Dr. Shashoua truly cares about his patients and has done everything in his power to help me. I appreciate all him and his team does.

July 15, 2019 7:00 PM

am very pleased with the level of care received. Dr Shashoua showed a genuine interest in helping me understand my condition as well as offering available options for treatment. He is knowledegable, professional, courteous and a true expert in his field.

July 8, 2019 7:00 PM

Overall a pleasant experience with the provider. I am grateful to have someone experienced treat me.

June 23, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr. Shashoua is always respectful, courteous, and remembers my problems. I trust him totally.

June 16, 2019 7:00 PM

Usually he seems rushed for time and although he might not be aware, can seem quite dismissive and irritated. Again, he might not be aware, but his demeanor is of someone who wants to move on to the next patient and your questions are wasting his time. He doesn't like to spend too much time on patient questions and it can be discouraging.

June 14, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr. Shousha is a wonderful doctor. Excellent team and doctor. He still saw me even though I was late to my appointment and I appreciate that because he didn't have to. It's hard to find a good doctor and I can honestly say that he is the best. Thank You!

May 31, 2019 7:00 PM

I love Dr. Shashoua and consider him to be one of the best doctors in his field. I don't always feel like he asks a lot of questions during the visit but he is extremely knowledgeable. I switched doctors after years of being with another OBGYN to Dr. Shashoua because my previous Doctor called me neurotic when I asked a lot of questions and was worried about my health. Dr. Shashoua has never made me feel bad about asking lots of questions or being overly worried. He pretty much diagnosed me immediately even though I hadn't had the blood tests back yet and after the blood work came back he was completely correct. I felt like I could've maybe of gotten a little more information on my condition but he did suggest I follow up with him regularly. He is very smart and I trust him with my health.

May 30, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr. Abraham Shashoua is an exceptional physician! I live and work in Washington, DC, and chose Dr. Shashoua after a nationwide search for a gynecologist to treat my large fibroids two years ago, and I can't say enough good things about him and his medical knowledge and expertise! During my most recent visit, Dr. Shashoua seemed like he was a little preoccupied/rushed/having a bad day, and I left feeling like I didn't get all of my questions answered about the new medication that he prescribed (and question whether giving me a 12-month prescription is truly the best plan, since the medicine has only recently been FDA-approved, and a year is a long time to take something every day without having a medical professional evaluate how well it is working). But I am so appreciative of Dr. Shashoua and all that he has done for me and would recommend him to anyone! He is truly a gifted physician!

May 25, 2019 7:00 PM

i had a question about my healch i tried to contact with him via advocate app and i never get response.

May 24, 2019 7:00 PM

very nice doctor

May 11, 2019 7:00 PM

1st visit was very nice and informative

May 5, 2019 7:00 PM

My visit with Dr. Shashoua was also my first surgery. The medical team at Advocate was flawless and they made me feel very confident in the care being provided.

April 26, 2019 7:00 PM

Everyone in the office is very friendly and helpful. Dr. Shashoua is a great dr and so is his new PA. I just wish he would slow down a little and not seem so rushed, even though he is.

April 26, 2019 7:00 PM

In my situation, I appreciate the details of a skilled surgeon. My procedure ended up being a little complicated and longer than anticipated but I appreciate the thoroughness and skill of Dr Shashoua. He is a little on the quiet side but approachable. But definitely have your questions researched and ready because he doesn't offer information up front without being asked. Overall, he's very nice and skilled so I would definitely recommend

April 22, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr. Abraham Shashoua is the most caring and concerned physician. He has helped me over the years with many medical problems and I wouldn't go to any other doctor for my problems! My husband and I are very grateful to Dr Shashoua!

April 21, 2019 7:00 PM

the provider was very nice and polite and I will definitely recommend friends and family members to his office

April 21, 2019 7:00 PM

Dr. Shashoua was referred to me by Dr. Mcelwee. it was recommended that he is an excellent doctor for the procedure I need done. Because of issues I have with my respiratory, this was the best way to go. He knew what I need done and was very professional.

April 12, 2019 7:00 PM

Waiting time is now longer and longer, but the time doctor spends with the patient is shorter and shorter.

February 24, 2019 6:00 PM

Appointment ran late, but the staff and Dr were great.

February 18, 2019 6:00 PM

great staff and provider

February 16, 2019 6:00 PM

Dr. Shashoua was very knowledgeable, friendly & gave of a great sense of confidence that really put my concerns about my need for surgery at ease. I immediately felt that I could trust him to expertly perform my surgery with the best technique & attention to my over all well being. I am extremely grateful that i found him & Advocate IL Masonic hospital. My treatment, surgery & after care was everything I was hoping it would be. Thank You!

February 16, 2019 6:00 PM

I had a very good experience ,and I still following with him until I hold my baby in my arms. Thank you.

February 11, 2019 6:00 PM

All good, except that I have to wait so long for appts and surgeries when I have a problem that I preschedule them in advance of having to wait months to get on the schedule.

February 9, 2019 6:00 PM

Excellent as always .DrShashoua is one of the greatest doctors i know .

I love Dr. Shashoua -- he performed surgery on me and was really great. He was also very thorough with the logistical side of things (working with my insurance regarding both surgery and medication). This visit was for a post-op appointment and I felt it was a bit rushed because we were jumping from topic to topic although he heard me out on all my questions. I would've liked a more specific account of what occurred during my surgery (where my endometriosis was still active and where it was scarred etc). Other than that, I am very happy and, overall, thrilled with the work he did.

January 28, 2019 6:00 PM

Very respectful aside from experienced, also kind as ever.

I went out of network to see this MD. He was knowledgeable, informative, creative and genuine in his approach to my care.

Dr Abraham Shashoua is a wonderful doctor. I trust him completely and think he goes beyond what is needed. I always feel like he is my advocate for my best health. I can't say enough good things about him and his practice.

I met with Dr. Shashoua to discuss surgery. While Dr. Shashoua seems very knowledgeable and experienced, I do not find him to have a very good "bedside manner". He seemed a bit condescending when I asked legitimate questions, and he did not take the time to carefully explain the potential side effects of different medications he recommended. Overall, I didn't feel very comfortable asking questions and I did not feel that he spent enough time with me.

January 25, 2019 6:00 PM

He provided excellent care

excellent service. will be going back for a follow-up. I trust this doctor completely

January 13, 2019 6:00 PM

Everything was very smooth about the process- other than my recovery. I felt very rushed and was probably moved too quickly which then took longer for me to recover and stabilize.

January 13, 2019 6:00 PM

Dr is very competent but visits always feel rushed. If he is in my room for more than 5 minutes, I'd be surprised. His PA/NP listened to the bulk of my concerns and answered questions thoroughly.

January 13, 2019 6:00 PM

Always a pleasant visit

December 1, 2018 6:00 PM

The Dr. was very informative & explained what was going on & how to fix it.

November 26, 2018 6:00 PM

As always excellent care and everyone is very professional.

November 6, 2018 6:00 PM

The doctor was very kind and explained the procedure to me thoroughly. The only thing I would have changed is knowing about the gas pains that were to come after having the surgery. I was not told and the pains were so very painful. Other than that the doctor seems to really care about his patients which I appreciate. He makes you feel comfortable.

November 5, 2018 6:00 PM

I think the survey explains my experience. He is a fantastic Doctor and a very nice, personable, caring person.

October 30, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr. Shashoua, is a very kind and caring doctor that I highly recommend. He made me feel very comfortable with my decision to have surgery. He thoroughly explained the procedure and I am very grateful to him and his wonderful team.

October 15, 2018 7:00 PM

During my visit my provider did not ask about renewing my birth control prescription which should be routine. I've had to handle it after the fact and it's been a pain.

October 14, 2018 7:00 PM

very good and kind doctor..

October 14, 2018 7:00 PM

dr Shashoua is the best doctor!!!!

October 8, 2018 7:00 PM

My doctor is awesome.

October 7, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr. Shashoua is one of the best in his field! have seen him for years and would always recommend him!

October 3, 2018 7:00 PM

he is a wonderful caring dr who really cares about his patients.

October 2, 2018 7:00 PM

I've been going to Dr. Shashoua for several years now, since I moved to Chicago, and I'm always satisfied with the level of care I receive.

October 1, 2018 7:00 PM

This was my third appointment with Dr. Shashoua. First to plan surgery, second to have surgery, third as the first post op appointment and I have a fourth scheduled in November. I have had an exceptional experience with this health care provider (and your hospital staff overall). He is a true professional and top of his game. I couldn't be more thankful to have found this doctor.

September 28, 2018 7:00 PM

visit very short, did not feel very thorough. I think exam was about 90 seconds total and an issue that had been followed in the past was actually ignored. Also my mammogram which had been done months before and was supposedly sent to the doctor was not in his charts and i never heard later from the office or technician if that had even been received yet. The doctor is very personable but I thought the exam was most cursory.

September 23, 2018 7:00 PM

Very positive. I was referred to the Provider by my fertility specialist. The provider was able to conduct a procedure that I needed to have done within a sensitive time frame.

September 14, 2018 7:00 PM

I love Dr. Shashoua and his team.

September 13, 2018 7:00 PM

Original surgery date was scheduled in Oct, the great doc made it happened faster b/c I was in a great amount of pain.

September 11, 2018 7:00 PM

The entire staff was amazing.Dr. Shousha is an excellent Doctor and shows that he really cares . Really informative. Best Doctor!

September 9, 2018 7:00 PM

Excelent doctor. Was first visit to this dr, but I will definitly go back to him.

September 3, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr Shashoua and all of his staff are very friendly and so helpful. I felt the warmth as i entered the room. Everyone is so kind and always smiling. Everyone is very professional and they make you feel like they all care about you. I have never felt so cared for at any other doctors office like this one. Great staff!

September 2, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr.Shashoua is the best in his field. He is kind, curteous and able to convey concerns and explanations about procedures.

September 2, 2018 7:00 PM

I asked my family doctor to recommend me the best gynecologist she can think about and she recommended Doctor Shashoua, and I see why. I'm very happy I found a doctor who can explain everything, answer all my questions and DO NOT RUSH and try to leave me as soon as possible as was with my previous doctor.

August 25, 2018 7:00 PM

I'm so grateful for Dr. Sashoua and his team!

August 12, 2018 7:00 PM

always so courteous to all his patients and his team well trained and respectful to me and the people around me , excellent team work . I would recommend them to a lot of people , great job and excellent Doctor .

August 6, 2018 7:00 PM

I tried to get in at Rush Univeristy for a lump I found in my breast, and was told 4 weeks, so I called Dr. Shashoua who got me in right away. the mammogram was suspicious and he called with results before I had checked out of the imaging center! i'm so thankful for such a wonderful physician.

August 5, 2018 7:00 PM

awesome experience. surgery in less than two months

July 29, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr Shoshoua is best

July 27, 2018 7:00 PM

The receptionists, nurses, doctor were extremely kind and emphatic. Honestly, the overall appearance of the practice was a bit poor, that (for whatever reason) does impact the patient.

July 23, 2018 7:00 PM

excellent physician, my favorite

July 9, 2018 7:00 PM

I waited 45 minutes to see the provider. The exam was very quick and I felt he was running late and eager to get out of the room to see his next client. See him once a year and each time he is very eager to prescribe a very expensive medication and I don't really feel it is necessary.

July 8, 2018 7:00 PM

Very grateful for Dr. Shashoua! Successful surgery in March

July 6, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr Shoushua gave me a hope that everything will be o.k. Thanks God I found him on the internet.

July 2, 2018 7:00 PM

I enjoyed speaking with the staff. They provided me with literature to read regarding the surgery I am to have in the future.

June 29, 2018 7:00 PM

Patient suspected recurrence of gynecology problems and provider (doctor) confirmed. provider Scheduled appointment for surgery in August. Expreirnce was great! quality of care/ service is good; provider is competent and scheduling surgery was easy!

June 25, 2018 7:00 PM

informational

June 24, 2018 7:00 PM

Dr. Shashoua is a fantastic provider. He takes his time when speaking with me and I never feel rushed.

June 10, 2018 7:00 PM

he is so amazing and caring. my surgery went so well, I felt safe knowing that my surgery was in good hands. I'm so happy i made this decision with my health and that Dr Shashua was the one to perform it

May 28, 2018 7:00 PM

He is a great provider and i am so thankful to have him. All of his staff is great as well.

May 11, 2018 7:00 PM

my experience with the provider was great he explained everything perfectly clear for me to get a good understanding, I appreciate the time I spent with the Doctor and he also answered all my questions.

May 6, 2018 7:00 PM

I love dr Shashoua and his staff. his an advocate when it comes to taking care of his patients and Great bed side manners